Yesterday, we identified the six types of strategic planning process activities we use to design a client’s strategic thinking workshop. To facilitate you going deeper into thinking about how these activities function within a strategic planning process, here are articles in each of the six areas.
6 Types of Strategic Planning Process Activities
Interacting (Networking, meeting, team building)
- Fun Strategic Planning Activities – Do you like answering ice breaker questions?
- 3 Keys to Team Building Exercises that Create Impact
- 12 Ideas for Spicing Up Strategic Planning in the Boardroom via the Bedroom
- 5 Dangers of Cheaping out on Hiring a Facilitator
Informing (Sharing background data and context)
- 16 Creative Ways to Supercharge Presentations
- Strategic Thinking Exercises – Group Collaboration the Right Way
- Making Case Studies in Presentations More Valuable
Investigating (Assembling the facts for strategic planning)
- Strategic Planning Techniques – 2 Questions that Don’t Work in Groups
- 2 Ways to Collect Information from Multiple Parties
- Delegating the Wrong Question to the Right People
- 4 Ways to Identify the Competitors Who Don’t Look Anything Like You
- 3 Strategic Thinking Exercises to Spot Emerging Competitors
- 5 Employee Engagement Ideas When Turnover Is High
- 3 Surprising Ways Online Collaboration Works
Insighting (Revealing breakthrough opportunities and threats)
- Creating Strategic Impact: Great Idea or Good Riddance?
- Strategic Thinking Exercises to Better Anticipate Strategic Issues
- 11 Ways to Reimagine the SWOT Analysis
- Brand Value – A Simple Way to Identify Your Brand Benefits
- 6 Ways to Enhance Competitive Intelligence from the Salesforce
- A Strategy for Predicting the Future More Accurately
- Considering Multiple Scenarios of the Future
- Anticipating Black Swan Events in Your Plan
Iterating (Structured thinking to expand ideas)
- Strategic Thinking Exercises – Finding Your Brand’s Strategic Analogs
- Strategic Connections – 3 Tips for Identifying More Opportunities
- New, Innovative Ideas – Strategy Planning with What’s It Like
- 9 Extreme Creativity Questions from Peter’s Laws
- 11 Strategic Questions for Disruptive Innovation in Markets
- Strategic Thinking Exercises – Who is the Positive Devil’s Advocate?
Integrating (Assembling pieces into strategy)
- Strategic Thinking Questions to Identify What Matters for a Brand
- Striving for Simple Revolutionary Ideas
- Big Strategy Statements - A Collaborative Way to Shape Your Strategic Direction
- Strategic Thinking Perspective – Keeping Only What’s Needed
- Creating Your Own Game for a Low-Risk and Longevity Strategy
- Do You Have What It Takes for a Marketing Plan?
- Preparing Mini-Plans for Uncertainty
- Four Must-Know Ways to Read a Strategy Document
Lots of places to go with all these articles on strategic planning activities that can fit into a workshop within your strategic planning process.
Putting it Together in a Strategic Planning Process
If you have responsibility for leading the strategic planning process in your organization, we recommend bookmarking this strategic planning activities reference and coming back to it when you need to explore the right mix of exercises to engage your planning participants.
Of course, picking the right menu and bringing it to life is our specialty. Get with us at email@example.com, 816-509-5320, or the contact us page on the website so we can discuss the approach that makes the most sense for your organization. – Mike Brown