The 2018 Fast Company Most Innovative Companies issue arrived Saturday. It's always a wonderful inspiration for strategic and creative thinking questions (plus it's exciting that we have a current client among the companies recognized). In the spirit of the first Agility question below, rather than trying to imagine questions from across all the companies listed, we limited the focus to creative thinking questions inspired by the top ten most innovative companies’ innovation journeys and priorities.
16 Creative Thinking Questions from the Most Innovative Companies
You can apply these creative thinking questions to trigger your own brand's strategic thinking on innovation strategy:
- What's the heart of our brand that we can double down on right away?
- If our time horizon were 25 years, what current things would we eliminate? Which ones would we accelerate?
- How is our leadership removing distractions to innovation (instead of creating them)?
- How can we focus on innovation results and let the financial results follow?
- Where can we mass resources for innovations with the biggest impacts?
Customer-Focused Innovation Strategy
- What remarkably new things can we deliver to the marketplace in the next year? 3 years? 25 years?
- Where can we innovate to allow customers to do things they have never been able to accomplish before?
- Where can we innovate to provide customers and partners greater visibility and growth opportunities?
- What innovations would help customers do the right things?
- What would we halt if we stopped doing anything that might be remotely bad for customers?
- What will it take to immediately stop using our customers as guinea pigs for innovation?
- How is our B2B brand dramatically changing individuals' lives?
- What opportunities will let us grow by 100x the amount and variety of valuable content our brand produces for customers?
- What can we do to deliver innovations when they need to get to market vs. when we're done tinkering?
- What changes would let us keep tinkering and improving right up to the time we deliver our next innovation?
- Which of our internal systems have value for other brands like ours that we can sell?
Which creative thinking questions from the most innovative companies will you take to your next leadership team meeting to focus the conversation on your own brand's innovation strategy? – Mike Brown