Responsible for creating cool product names for a new product idea?
A Brainzooming blog email subscriber asked me last week if The Brainzooming Group had a ready-made creative thinking exercise on the blog for creating cool product names for a new product idea.
I shared with her some variations on eight creative thinking questions in a previous post about developing creative job titles. If one reader has a question about a particular creative thinking exercise, it is probably a good sign other readers could use help on a similar question.
New Product Idea and Faux Names
The creative thinking questions you can use if you need to create ideas for new product names are below, but first, a couple of cautions:
- If you do want to put a bunch of syllables together into a faux new product name, there are websites that tell you what all the prefixes and suffixes mean. Check there for parts and pieces.
- If you want a completely automatically generated faux new product name, there are also websites that will generate mishmash names for you. Check there for parts and pieces smashed together.
Creating Cool Product Names with Creative Thinking Questions
This list is not designed to yield faux new product names comprised of nonsense syllables. The list of questions is intended to come up with intriguing, real-sounding names. Ask the eight creative thinking questions, come up with as many potential answers as you can, and then prioritize the most strategic and creative possibilities for consideration:
- What words describe the cool outcomes from the new product or the experience of using it?
- What other products are like this? What words are used to describe those products that we could modify and enhance?
- If this new product delivered super powers, what would they be?
- What words would you use to describe this new product if you were trying to impress your mom / dad or a spouse / girlfriend / boyfriend?
- What words would add emotional impact to the product name?
- What words describe HOW the product works when it is at its best?
- What words would be more exciting, powerful, fun, surprising, or memorable?
You can click on the image below to get a free creative naming mini-poster that includes these questions in a fun, easy-to-use format!
Which types of cool product names do you like?
What is your preference for new product names? Faux names or real names, and why? – Mike Brown
If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to the free Brainzooming email updates.
Find New Resources to Innovate!
NEW FREE Download: 16 Keys for Finding Resources to Accelerate Your Innovation Strategy
You know it’s important for your organization to innovate. One challenge, however, is finding and dedicating the resources necessary to develop an innovation strategy and begin innovating.
This Brainzooming eBook will help identify additional possibilities for people, funding, and resources to jump start your innovation strategy. You can employ the strategic thinking exercises in Accelerate to:
- Facilitate a collaborative approach to identifying innovation resources
- Identify alternative internal strategies to secure support
- Reach out to external partners with shared interests in innovation
Download your FREE copy of Accelerate Your Innovation Strategy today!