As long as Dilbert keeps touching on new ideas and creativity, we’ve got to feature and talk about it on Brainzooming. Do you ever feel as Dilbert does here that the odds are stacked against you in trying to come up with a great new idea?
I know I feel like Dilbert, at least in one area.
Seeing all the books already out there on the variety of topics I might write about has been a real factor in why I haven’t written a Brainzooming book yet (although there’s a book in the offing – which I’m working on right now – so stay tuned).
But since it’s usually more fun to work on someone else’s challenges, problems, and anxieties than your own challenges, problems, and anxieties, the big question is, “What is a great new idea Dilbert can do with his me-too app to make it stand out from the crowd?”
24 Ideas for Dilbert
We've covered multiple times the benefit of mining ideas already out there for new value. So taking Dilbert’s challenge of coming up with a great new idea for an app that can stand our from the crowd, here is my mind mapping to generate ideas for Dilbert:
- Pick 1 function of the app and focus on doing it better (Focused)
- Figure out what a suite of focused apps would look like and do (Complementary)
- Move the app into a completely new context (Shift)
- Design the app so it would work for the last person you’d ever expect to use it (Off Target)
- Create the app for use in a completely different industry (Repurpose)
- Combine features from across multiple apps in a new way (Aggregate)
- Grab functions from unrelated apps and make them work together (Integrate)
- Partner with the app creator to find new markets for what’s already developed (Re-market)
- Bundle multiple apps into one interface (Combine)
- Design an app users can modify to better suit their needs (User involvement)
- Create a customizable app (Variability)
- Do to the opposite of all the apps in your category (Contrary)
- Introduce nostalgia into the app (Historical)
- Make the app work on a less popular platform (Niche)
- Incredibly simplify the app (Simplify)
- Remove options from the app to make it more streamlined (Streamline)
- Use the most important feature and develop multiple ways for the app to handle it (Diversity)
- Make the app more complex through richer functionality and features (Robust)
- Create a more sophisticated version of the app (Sophistication)
- Deliver the benefits the app offers in a better way (Improve)
- Add more benefits in speed, thoroughness, versatility to the app (Broaden)
- Leapfrog 2 or 3 generations of the app (Leapfrog)
- Deliver the most outrageous benefit possible through the app (Extreme)
- Specifically design the app to destabilize an industry you’re not in right now (Destabilize)
Who knows if all these are stellar ideas? Most likely they aren’t all stellar ideas. But all these ideas have the possibility for more exploration if Dilbert is up to really coming up with a great new idea that is really something different.
24 Ideas for You
If you’re working on something other than an app where these twenty-four ideas might not quite fit, you can still use the twenty-four transformers in parentheses to play around with your run of the mill ideas to put some new life into them:
Focused, Complementary, Shift, Off Target, Repurpose, Aggregate, Integrate, Re-market, Combine, User involvement, Variability, Contrary, Historical, Niche, Simplify, Streamline, Diversity, Robust, Sophistication, Improve, Broaden, Leapfrog, Extreme, Destabilize
24 Ideas for Me?
Now to see how these twenty-four transformers work on coming up with a great new idea for a book! – Mike Brown
Download the free Brainzooming eBook, “Taking the NO Out of InNOvation” to help you generate fantastic creative ideas for any other area of your life! For an organizational creativity boost, contact The Brainzooming Group to help your team be more successful by rapidly expanding strategic options and creating innovative plans to efficiently implement. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 816-509-5320 to learn how we can deliver these benefits for you.