Here's a career success idea that can provide returns in multiple dimensions of your career: create a “Smile File” to capture good news related your career success.
What's a Smile File?
A smile file is a repository of successes, congratulations, comments, feedback, and other mementos of your career. Some specific items could include:
- Thank you notes you receive
- Outstanding job review documents
- Final recaps on products, services, programs, processes, and other efforts you've managed or contributed to meaningfully
- Emails you receive as testimonials
- Photos of great team performance
- Copies of materials you've produced that have exceeded expectations
- Notes and kudos from co-workers
That's simply a starting list.
Basically anything that brings to mind a career success and brings a smile to your face when you see or remember it is fair game for your smile file.
How does a smile file help your career success?
- When updating your resume or LinkedIn profile, these items are wonderful reminders of things to include
- If you're having a "I'm a fraud day," your smile file mementos will demonstrate you really aren't a fraud.
- They will cheer you up on bad days
- They can help you prepare for your next job review
- It's tangible evidence when people question the impact of things you are addressing in your job
It’s a simple idea, but a smile file can make all the different on a bad day when it seems you’re having anything BUT career success.
Trust me . . . it works! - Mike Brown
Download the free ebook, “Taking the NO Out of InNOvation” to help you generate fantastic creative thinking and ideas! For an organizational innovation success boost, contact The Brainzooming Group to help your team be more successful by rapidly expanding strategic options and creating innovative plans to efficiently implement. Email us at email@example.com or call us at 816-509-5320 to learn how we can deliver these benefits for you.