Is your organization struggling to deliver on the innovation expectations you have for it?
From our experience at The Brainzooming Group and ongoing research, there are ten common innovation barriers blocking new idea and implementation across organizations. Only a couple of these barriers existing in a culture can block even modest expectations for implementing new ideas.
There is good news, however: none of the innovation barriers is insurmountable.
Understanding which challenges you’re facing is vital. That insight drives the smart change management steps needed to navigate each innovation challenge.
10 Innovation Barriers Lurking in Your Organization
We group innovation barriers based on their ties to strategy, process, and people issues.
- Lacking an overarching direction
- Loving the status quo too much
- Managing with an exclusively short-term focus
- Using ineffective metrics
- Ignoring the need for a structured process
- Struggling with core capabilities
- Lacking sufficient resources
- Operating with a history of unsuccessful innovation implementation
- Failing to recognize innovative talent
- Not motivating the team to take risks and innovate
Tackling Innovation Barriers
We use a diagnostic with senior leadership teams that ties to the ten innovation barriers.
The first step in the brief strategic thinking exercise has individual leaders assess the presence of the organization’s roadblocks. After leadership team members complete individual assessments, we collect and analyze the responses as input for a strategic conversation among senior leaders. In that conversation, we:
- Acknowledge areas of agreement on the presence or absence of specific barriers
- Discuss reasons where there are different perceptions on innovation barriers
- Identify, based on the overall scores, whether significant barriers are tied to strategy, process, or people issues
Is Your Organization Struggling with Innovation?
Are you trying to push for new ideas and innovation in your organization, but not finding success?
You need to download our free eBook, “The Ten Big Nos to InNOvating.” It highlights each of the ten innovation barriers and includes the diagnostic we use.
If you want to go deeper in jump starting an innovation strategy, contact us. Let's talk about the best options to engage your employees for input and innovation!
Are you ready to boost innovation in a high-impact way?
This free Brainzooming eBook highlights ten common organizational innovation barriers. A one-page evaluation sets the stage to quickly self-diagnose where to focus your organization’s efforts in customizing a successful innovation initiative.