Baseball scouts review many talented players, narrowing prospects through successfully anticipating which have the talent to perform at the highest levels of the game.
You can benefit from generalizing their selection criteria in the “Change Your Character” exercise to strengthen the prospect assessment criteria that you’re called on to perform in your job. Your prospects may be employees, customers, vendors, or other parties in business. Baseball scouts look for the following types of characteristics in their best prospects:
- Have strong interest in success
- Are always aware of what’s going on and what the right thing to do next is
- Are dedicated and loyal
- Are easy to be around and are strong influencers
- Can make things happen & produce consistently
- Have the skills to turn apparent failure into success
- Field whatever comes their way
- Never give up
- Will follow through and give everything they have
Next time you have to develop criteria to assess prospects, identify three new ideas from those used by baseball scouts.
Check out a compilation of "Change Your Character" creative thinking exercises and information on its use. – Mike Brown
If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to the free Brainzooming blog email updates.
The Brainzooming Group helps make smart organizations more successful by rapidly expanding their strategic options and creating innovative plans they can efficiently implement. Email us at email@example.com or call us at 816-509-5320 to learn how we can help you enhance your strategy and implementation efforts.